Not at all in the winter. A few years ago, I observed around 10,000 in a flooded field on Mingo during the Christmas Bird Count.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau

From: Sue Hagan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, February 23, 2012 5:19:25 PM
Subject: Rusty Blackbirds

Hello, birders--this is my first MoBirds submission, so hope I do it correctly. I went through Mingo yesterdayand the most amazing thing was seeing 150 - 200 Rusty Blackbirds--they were concentrated in a section of swampy woods (going from the Job Corps entrance, turn right and they were on the left, about 1/4 mile from the intersection), turning the wet leaves over and munching out en masse. I've only identified a couple of solitary rustys previously, but I had no doubts about these, especially as the rusty color was very conspicuous. Is that kind of flocking unusual for Rustys?

Sue Hagan
Reynolds County, Missouri