Large flocks show up in Tower Grove Park in St. Louis.

I haven't seen one yet this year, either.

Sherry McCowan
Saint Louis, Missouri

On Feb 23, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Judy Bergmann wrote:

I saw about that many one time - at Duck Creek - in the swampy woods not far from the entrance. I believe it was March 1,  2003.  I 've seen them in flocks of a couple dozen many times.  I have yet to see a Rusty Blackbird in 2012.

Judy Bergmann
Rural Bonne Terre
St. Francois Co.

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:19:25 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Rusty Blackbirds
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello, birders--this is my first MoBirds submission, so hope I do it correctly. I went through Mingo yesterdayand the most amazing thing was seeing 150 - 200 Rusty Blackbirds--they were concentrated in a section of swampy woods (going from the Job Corps entrance, turn right and they were on the left, about 1/4 mile from the intersection), turning the wet leaves over and munching out en masse. I've only identified a couple of solitary rustys previously, but I had no doubts about these, especially as the rusty color was very conspicuous. Is that kind of flocking unusual for Rustys?

Sue Hagan
Reynolds County, Missouri