Our yard has been so vacant of birds this weekend that I did not bother to enter a list in the Backyard Bird Count. I suppose that would been ok to do, but it was not normal for our yard.

I remember Leo Galloway from at least two ASM meetings. One was in spring and I was privileged to meet him and his wife as we were eating at same table. I couldn't wait to get home and tell my almost 80 year old mother about this man who was more than 80 and how he had ridden 100 miles on his bike that week. And at a fall meeting when he was beginning to have vision trouble and couldn't use his binoculars, he was so excited to try to find an elusive Hooded Warbler in the brush along side of a road. I saw him again near St. Joseph  a couple years ago when he and his wife drove up and stopped at seeing this group of binocular/scope-using people lining the road all looking in the same direction. We had a nice reunion. He was a very inspiring man.

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay CO
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Lawrence Herbert
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 7:47 AM
Subject: woodies and Leo

    I had six of our seven regular woodpeckers at Walter Woods CA
    yesterday morning for the GBBC.  I missed Pileated.  They are
    there half of the time, so I was close!

    Probably 15 years ago, or so, Leo G. came to Joplin and looked
    me up.  So we got to go birding for a bit.

    Larry Herbert,  Joplin, Jasper County MO.  certhiaATatt.net  02-20-12.
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/