Just to add to Ryan's message; I just returned from my 3rd trip in a year to
Sanibel island, FL where I have been going for years. I know the area well but this
time I used my BirdsEye app on my iphone and my Audubon app has ebird now,
so while birding was  not my primary reason for a few days in SW Florida, I utilized
some free time to visit new places because of the ebird app.  It gives you specific
birds, directions to locations and I found, you meet birders wherever you go who
tell you other places to go!  I under-utilize ebird at home but as Ryan said, out of
state, I found it to be quite useful and plan to start using it more here in home
territory too!  Its like Cache, the more who use it, the more useful it becomes.

Carol Weston
Columbia, MO