Ellen and all, the best time to catch sight and sound of the maximum number of Snow Geese sitting and calling at the refuge is at mid-day when they come in for that siesta break.

To time it well, plan to get to Mound City in time for a slightly early lunch (there is a McDonald's and the Quackers Cafe--guess that's a no brainer with a grandson in tow, but the McDs is at the intersection of Hwy. 118  & I-29 exit; the Quackers is 1 block to the left when you exit the interstate.

To see and hear the swans, then see and hear the geese, when you leave Mound City, go west on Hwy. 118 to the brown sign indicating "Squaw Creek NWR, Mallard Marsh Entrance" (left turn).  This takes you past Mallard Marsh with the Trumpeters in it, and then on to the one-way loop.  You'll come to the geese after you get through the woods part.  Be sure to look up and toward the bluffs to see the incoming waves.

Note:  if you come in at the entrance off MO 159 (past the visitor center) you'll have to go 7/8 around the 11 mile loop to get to the geese.  Coming in from 118, you see the swans and the geese, then can exit and go see the neat stuff at the visitor center.  You'll see plenty of eagles, too.

Bodacious birding!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO