while it almost looks like a 'set up' video however I am certain that there are
photographers that are that insensitive and that unethical in their pursuit of
the photo, which makes it difficult for those of us who are ethical and careful
because we get judged as "one of THOSE photographers".
BUT let me ask this ethical question, to stir the pot even more, is what the
photographers did, so different than what  some birders do as they pursue the
birds to add one more check mark to their list and end up disturbing the birds?

When you look at birds we have had on our own list-serve that were unusual to
Missouri but stayed for several weeks, their every move was on the list and as
a result, their feeding/resting time was constantly disturbed by birders wanting
a glimpse of it.  So it was constantly being flushed from its varying places.
How is this different, ethically, than what the photographers did with the
Snowy?  Each bird was flushed by people wanting a closer look.  The
photographers exercised inexcusable behavior but suppose they had no idea
what they were doing was unethical? does that change anything?  As Edge put
forth, how do you educate others and I say, the birding/photography
community as well.

The point is, there are some unethical birders and there are some unethical
photographers;sometimes, they are one and the same.  We are each,
responsible for our behavior and our ethics.  Anytime these ethical dilemmas are
put to the forefront of discussions, as gentle reminders of where our obsessions
must end and ethical, moral responsibility must take over, is a good thing.

Perhaps on this list serve is a good place to review the ethics of birding, as has
been done abit in the recent past.  I know there are some birding places that
do not post the positions of certain birds such as owls and other rare species
so there is less chance of disturbance, perhaps that is something the powers
might re-consider on this list-serve.

We all have an ethical and moral responsibility to protect the species that we
are all enthralled with, to whatever degree that needs to be done, to ensure
their survival in an ever fragile environment, this includes both birders AND
photographers.

Carol Weston
Columbia, MO