The St. Louis Audubon Society field trip today, to Riverlands
Migratory Bird Sanctuary and Columbia Bottom CA, was fairly
successful in spite of persistent drizzle through the morning.  We
were pleased to spend some quality time in the new Audubon Center at
Riverlands, and to run back there quickly when the staff phoned us
that one of the Common Redpolls had arrived at the feeders!  We were
also pleased to have several folks from Columbia and one from Kansas
City as our guests.

Overall, the numbers of typical winter birds -- eagles, waterfowl
including swans, and gulls -- were way down at RMBS, but we did find
some variety here and there, and we added a good deal more at CBCA.
Below is a full list of species that I'm aware of.

Bill Rowe
St. Louis

Greater White-fronted Goose 1000 (nearly all in single big flock at
CBCA, late afternoon)
Snow Goose
Cackling Goose 4 (Teal Pond, RMBS)
Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan 40 (almost all at CBCA)
Tundra Swan 1  (by size, flying among Trumpeters, CBCA)
Gadwall
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Am. White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 (juvenile at dam on Il side; unusual for
winter)
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk