Around 1030am this morning, on my way to Washington to pick up Gus the dog at the groomer I saw a bird on a utility pole and said to myself "hey that's a shrike!" On the return trip 20 minutes later the bird was still there and I slowed down to get a longer look-- definitely a shrike! I zipped home, dropped Gus off, grabbed the binos and headed back out as the location is only about a mile from home. I pulled off SR 47 at the spot and saw that the bird had moved north 100 yds. to a "We Buy Ugly Houses" billboard. Dodging very heavy traffic I drove past the bird and u-turned so I would be looking out the driver-side window and on a wider shoulder as semis roared by me. With a somewhat faint mask, massive hooked bill and scaly brown breast this is a 1st year NSHR!
I watched it until it flew down into the brush of a power line cut, about 4-5 minutes. Missouri lifer!
Don Hays
Union
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T