Bildung and the Humanities
Both our contemporary notion of the humanities and of the structure of the
university itself have their origins in the development of an ideal of
Bildung from 19th-century German culture. While recent reductions in the
humanities call into question the idea of Bildung, they also invite a
reconsideration of this idea from a contemporary perspective. Accordingly,
we seek papers that explore the role of the idea of Bildung in current
discussions of the humanities. Are there new justifications as well as
critiques of the idea that imply changes in the way we conceive of the
place of the humanities in U.S. higher education? What was at stake in the
origin of the idea of Bildung (national identity, the Enlightenment
project, democracy, cosmopolitanism?), and how are these issues relevant
today? The AATG and the MLA Division of 19th and early 20th century German
literature invite proposals for papers to be presented at the Modern
Language Association Convention in Boston, January 3-6, 2013. Please
submit 150-word abstracts to David Pan ([log in to unmask]) by 15 March 2012.
(Please note that this call for papers is in addition to the previous call
for papers focused on the origins and development of the idea of Bildung.)