Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 06:13:27 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Spring Migration . . . Already?!, Stoddard Co., 1/28
To: [log in to unmask]

Greetings!

While taking lunch break at Dexter City Lake yesterday, Saturday, 1/28, I noticed large flocks of Snow & Greater White-fronted Geese in ALL directions in what appeared to be a northward push.

After work I spent some time at Otter Slough CA where the goose behavior was touch and go, literally. Huge amounts of geese were gathering in select fields where their numbers ranged from 3000-9000 in each flock. The geese seemed to no longer get settled for about 3-5 minutes before they'd spook all of a sudden with no sign of an eagle or other raptor in the vicinity. My guess is that they were just resting for a few minutes before lifting and continuing northward.

The geese weren't the only birds in the air and heading northward. I was fortunate enough to spot 9 SANDHILL CRANES on the southern end of Otter Slough CA near the St. Francis River headed in the same northward direction as were many small flocks of waterfowl. When I spoke with the area Conservation Agent, he also mentioned the large numbers in a northward pattern, and said that he's seen in increase in activity in as much as the past 7 days citing that the weather patterns we're experiencing here in the southeast area are about two weeks early.

We are to have some predominantly south winds the next few days; so I expect the waterfowl pattern northward to continue.

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.