Last year was the first year we had Red-shouldered Hawks nesting close by,
across the street, we've always seen adults and juveniles around. They hunted
in our yard constantly and raised 3 young. We saw them eating/feeding their
young: earthworms, toads, voles, mice, chipmunks, rabbits, squirrels and a
baby opossum. A few of our goldfish went missing, too. I often saw the adults
literally diving into squirrels nests to raid them. One morning, Tina and I
watched an adult screaming to the juveniles to follow it into a nest, as if saying,
"Come 'n get it!" and they did. I also have photos of two of the juveniles with a
dead adult squirrel, one eating the squirrel and not quite willing to share. I have
yet to find a notation that squirrels are part of their diet, but they sure have
developed a taste for them here. And, that makes Dan happy!

Margy Terpstra
Kirkwood, St. Louis Co, MO