Prompted by Margy Terpstra's comments, I have seen the evidence of
red-shouldered hawk raids on squirrel nests on my property here, north of
Union.  In fact I found two raided nests this afternoon!  Once, about two
years ago, I also found the remnants of a hawk-killed gray squirrel and then
later noted the absence of a large nest in a tree near the house.The nests I
found on the ground today were both constructed of red cedar bark.
Don Hays
Donald R. Hays
Union, Franklin Co., Missouri