I visited Eagle Bluffs this afternoon and had an unusual sighting for me. I
was told by a couple of women that were leaving when I arrived that they
thought they had seen a roosting shor eared owl near one of the pools. I had
just finished scoping pools 14/15 and was leaving, when a young women began
walking toward the pools across the field with her camera. After pulling out
of the parking area, I looked back and noticed she had flushed out a large
number of large birds. I got out of my car and identified at least 12 short
eared owls flying around the area immediately above her. They had apparently
been in the field in front of pools 14/15. I have never seen so many short
eared owls. It was spectacular. I watched them for a while as they fluttered
about and they eventually settled back into the field. The young woman was
unaware of what type of birds they were, but she did get a number of
pictures. I encouraged her to post them on MOBIRDS. Other than this event, I
did not see anything that has not already been posted the past couple of
days. I am still looking for the sandhill cranes that have repeatedly been
reported there.

Scott Johnston

Cole County