I convinced my wife to take a family trip down to Eagle Bluffs this afternoon. Highlights were: finding a SHORT-EARED OWL while scoping ducks in pools 14/15, a fairly decent winter roost of GREAT BLUE HERONS, and a pretty good sized flock of GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES. -Ryan Douglas and I were just talking about how we had only been seeing a few GTGR at the most, but now it looks like they're back. Full checklist is below.

Good birding!
Kyle McCommis
Columbia, MO (Boone Co.)

Eagle Bluffs CA, Boone, US-MO
Jan 7, 2012 2:15 PM - 4:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
7.0 mile(s)
34 species

Canada Goose  12
Gadwall  75
Mallard  8000
Northern Shoveler  250
Northern Pintail  200
Green-winged Teal  14
Canvasback  1     The single Canvasback was observed nearby (but not in same scope view) as the Redheads. This duck was larger, had a slanted head/bill, and much more white than grey on the back.
Redhead  5     clearly not Canvasbacks due to round head shape.
Ring-necked Duck  2
Lesser Scaup  8
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Great Blue Heron  35     All but a few roosting together in pools 14/15.
Turkey Vulture  2
Bald Eagle  3
Northern Harrier  2
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  5
Rough-legged Hawk  6
American Coot  35
Short-eared Owl  1     Was perched on something short on the edge of the water of pools 14/15. Just happened to notice it as I scoped waterfowl from the parking lot at pools 10/11.
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  30
White-throated Sparrow  5
White-crowned Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  7
Red-winged Blackbird  30
Common Grackle  12
Great-tailed Grackle  60     Much larger than Common Grackle. Long, wedge-shaped tails. Tails were very often pointed up when birds were on the ground. All birds were together in the vicinity of pools 13 & 5.
American Goldfinch  8