Interesting, I traveled from K.C. to Columbia today and saw a large white bird with dark barring on the wings and lower back just west of the Sedalia exit (MM 78).  It was near the base of the hill sitting in a tree on the south side of 70.  Unfortunately, I was traveling at 75 mph and at 7:30 a.m. it was pretty dark and overcast.  My immediate thought was that it was either a snowy owl or an albinistic red-tailed. The head seemed roundish but birds in those temps are so puffed up it was not possible to verify hawk or owl.  I leaned toward red-tailed based on the habitat (in a wooded stretch), but got excited hearing of a snowy owl sighting in that area.  I did not see the bird-in-question on my return trip at 2:30.

Sounds like this bird is sticking to that area so be on the look-out!

Jennifer Reidy, Liberty

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:11:19 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Snowy Owl in Missouri
To: [log in to unmask]

About a week ago I saw an albino red-tail along I-70 in the US 65 and Sweetwater stretch.  Today I received a phone call at work reporting an albino bald eagle at mile marker 76.8 which is in the same part of I-70. And, now a report of a snowy owl reported in the same area.  Maybe if someone has a trip planned or just some free time and is in the area check for this white bird and let us know what you think it is.

Brad