Hi MoBirders,

My son Nathan and I journeyed out to Lawrence and Dade Counties today.  Being from North Carolina, his target Missouri birds were Harris's Sparrow, which he hadn't seen in 16 years, and Smith's Longspur, which would be a life bird for him.
We scored on both, with 14 Harris's Sparrows on the west edge of Providence Prairie in Lawrence County (and others elsewhere), and 6 Smith's Longspurs on Pennsylvania Prairie in Dade County.

Other highlights were 85 Lapland Longspurs, 80 Rusty Blackbirds, and 14 Brewer's Blackbirds.

Nate's photos of one of the Smith's Longspur can be viewed at the following links:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10349159@N08/6577158187/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10349159@N08/6577154311/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10349159@N08/6577151277/in/photostream/

Good birding,
Greg Swick
Ozark, MO

--
Greg Swick, Director
Green Leadership Academy for Diverse Ecosystems (GLADE)

I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in nature, which, if we unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright. ~Henry David Thoreau