It is very possible.  Last Friday, as reported on mobirds, Nancy Leo, Shari Harden, Ann Leduc, and myself found 5 Snowy Owls while utilizing the help of two other groups of birders.  Two days ago, Jack H. reported three Snowy Owls at Route P near Fortescue and we've been unable to relocate those.  Therefore, it's very possible that they made their way down to Smithville.  This has happened twice (I believe, through an educated guess) since right before Eagle Days there was a Snowy Owl here at Squaw Creek NWR, then at Nodaway, and this is about the time that the count increased at Smithville.

Christine Kline

Pleasant Hill, Cass County, MO

(At Squaw Creek NWR this week.)

From: "Steve Cain" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:44:16 PM
Subject: Snowy Owls, Smithville

Great day at Smithville.  Saw three snowy owls, all at the waters edge.  One at the dam, one at the jetty south of the dam, and one at the marina in Little Platte Park.

Talk is there are now seven to eight snowy owls up there.  Don't know if that's true or not, but I wouldn't doubt it.

There were lots of people up there today, and all I saw were most respectful of the owls.

S.W. Cain
Liberty, MO