Thank you to Dick Coles, who left a message on my car at the Blue Grosbeak Trail.  Yes, I was there with Mike Grant and Doug Corbett.  We made the mistake of wandering WAY up the right fork of the trail, messed around for about 2 hours without seeing the bird.  Finally decided, as others have before us, to give up.  As we headed back towards the parking lot, several hunters told us the birdwatchers were watching a ground-dove by the gravel pile..  We watched that spot for a while, then gave up, deciding to make a potty stop and get a treat, then return for another look.  As we were ready to drive away, we looked up the trail, and there it was.  I believe Mike got some photos.

I didn't see Dick's note under the wiper blade until I was driving east, heading to IL to look for the bluebird.  It was interesting that the OCD in me really wanted to stop along the highway to read that note, but I waited until later (a good exercise in delaying gratification, since Christmas is coming....).  Anyway, we did see the female Mountain Bluebird just off Bischoff Rd., farther down the road than the gray house:  on the wire by a brick house with gray outbuildings.  She was prettier when she flew: then at least you got a glimpse of blue.

A nice morning to be out.

Susan Eaton
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO., MO