I lived in Tucson for almost 10 years. I was a member of the Desert Museum for most of that time. I went several times a year and it was always the place that I took guests from out of town to introduce them to the Arizona-Sonora Desert. No visit to Tucson would be complete a visit to the desert museum. Also, the setting of the Museum in Saguaro National Monument just outside of Gates Pass is breathtaking. It is one of the best places in the world to watch a sunset.

Also, it is like a “zoo”. But the Museum is a part of the desert, so the wild birds/animals are there as well. Go and enjoy.

Mark

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Edge
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: No sighting: Arizona-sonora museum

Amy, The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is an outdoor/indoor facility covering many, many acres.  Animals there are kept in natural habitat settings.  Many wild birds come to the grounds.  Some come to visit the birds held within an enclosure.  The captive birds are a fine sampling of southwest species--gives you the opportunity to sit and study them up close as they go about their activities, but cannot get too far away.

There is also a facility there for hummingbirds.   You can sit and observe those many species of hummers as they feed.  It is a great way to familiarize yourself with the variety of hummers that we don't see in MO.

So, enjoy the Desert Museum, take your binoculars and plan to stay for several hours (restaurants on the grounds).

Be sure to check out the comparative plant displays, gems, underground animals, and much much more.

There are many places to go near Tucson for great birding, even in February!  Enjoy.

Edge Wade

Columbia, MO