I participated in the Four Rivers CBC (now know as August Busch CA and identified on the Audubon CBC site as Horton) on 15 December, 2011.  While diversity was pretty good since we found just over 100 species, we discovered that numbers for many species were WAY down.  Maybe as much as an order of magnitude in many cases and some species were almost none existant.  Particularly, we had a very small number of thrushes with only a few Eastern Bluebirds (I haven't seen compiled results yet), one American Robin (as of noon), and zero Hermit Thrushes (we usually get at least a couple).  We found that many seed and mast crops had failed as well as berry crops.  I saw maybe two or three Deciduous Holly trees with berries and almost no Bush Honeysuckle with berries, even Poision Ivy and Eastern Red Cedar struggled to produce berries.  We also noted that the main pool near the headquarters was down at least four feet.  Just wondering if others are seeing the same results and how extensive this drought is.  I knew that things were pretty bad in southern Kansas but didn't realize that it had extended into Missouri.  I also didn't realize how dramitically it would effect wintering bird numbers.  Just thought this might be a worthy topic for discussion.
John Bollin
NE Leavenworth, KS

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/