I have been recording @ 45 to 55 species around Lake Contrary recently, but this morning the birds seemed reluctant to show themselves. I only tallied 33 species. There were large numbers of Canada Geese and Ring-billed Gulls but the other waterfowl were mostly absent from the lake. Sparrows were nowhere to be found, with the exception of the American Tree Sparrows.

Lake Contrary, Buchanan, US-MO
Dec 12, 2011 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
30.0 mile(s)
33 species

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii)  5
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  1400
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta)  1
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)  1
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator)  10
Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis)  1
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  1
American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos)  1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  7
Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)  1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  4
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)  2
American Coot (Fulica americana)  2
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  1200
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  1
Rock Pigeon (Columba livia)  85
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)  12
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  4
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  4
Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris)  10
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  1
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  1
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  3
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  455
American Tree Sparrow (Spizella arborea)  20
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  45
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  16
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  7
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  12
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  32

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO