With the continued sightings and in town on Saturday for the hockey game
decided to stay overnight and try for an hour or two on Sunday morning
before heading home.  Got to the parking lot at the crack of down with
three other cars on the lot.  Typically I do not bird during hunting season
so do not own any orange clothes but hoped it could be close to the lot and
if no hunters in sight would try heading up the trail.

Got two steps beyond the gate and saw a large animal on the path about 50
yards up.  It was a hunting dog.  Soon after the hunter came oot of the
brush and we stared at each other for several seconds (he was not in hunter
orange but the gun was obvious).  He continued on across the path.  I did
not move any further and the dog continued up and down the path.  Another
hunter not far in orange was working the same area.

Decided to go to breakfast and hope for a miracle that they would be gone
when I came back but it was not to be.  I know the hunter orange eliminates
being mistaken for an animal to be shot at.  But with the activity so close
to the trail hunter orange does not help in the case of a stray shot too
close to the trail.  I know the signs say no shooting within 100 feet of
the trail but shots travel further than 100 feet plus I don't think the
first hunter would be crossing back and forth the trail with his dog if he
did not intend to shoot if something came out.  So I aborted my attempt.
Legally I may have been in the right but that does not help if I am shot.

Please continue posting sightings as I may have another chance next weekend.

Thanks,
Steve Griffaw
Jefferson City MO