Smithville Lake, Clay, US-MO
Dec 9, 2011 10:00 AM - 11:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Amy H, Brenda L and I saw a female Snowy Owl on the main point at Wood Henge and a male SNOW on the jetty to the west of the main point. Driving over to the golf course Brenda and I encountered a third SNOW (a female bird). Several others also saw this bird while we were there. (* Andy and Howard  got some close up shots of the male owl that was on the "west jetty".)
1 species, 3 birds.

Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus)  3

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO

--- On Fri, 12/9/11, Amy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Amy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: SNOWs yes + raptor count
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, December 9, 2011, 3:36 PM

I made the drive to Smithville today and was rewarded with two snowy owls!!! I didn't get very long looks as they got spooked and someone else was using my scope most of the time before that, but I was just so happy to see them and to experience this irruption. Also I had the pleasure of meeting Larry Lade and his wife. They pointed out the owls for me.

During the drive, I counted raptors and had a total of 70 by the time I got home:

Majority were red-taileds
2nd most were buteo sps that were probably red-taileds
Many kestrels maybe 10 or 12
2 snowy owls
2 harriers
1 barred owl