Twice now -- once the weekend after Thanksgiving and today -- I've seen an all dark hawk around Eldon. It's been sitting both times so I haven't seen the underwings but the belly is solid dark brown to black as are the upper wings and head. I don't think it's big enough to be an eagle and it doesn't have the huge beak of a bald so it would have to be a golden if it were. I'd say it's either a dark rough-legged or a Harlans red-tailed. I wish I had turned around to get a picture this time.

Amy j. Hoffman
JC
Cole County