From: Lawrence Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: dark red-tail, McDonald Co.
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, December 3, 2011, 7:17 PM

    Joyce Haynes and I enjoyed a remarkably dark Buteo this morning
    at MDC's Mount Shira Access, McDonald County.  It was overhead
    and when it banked we both agreed that there was a hint of reddish
    in the tail.  I feel that it was intermediate between a dark juvenile 1st
    year and a dark adult as on p. 122, Red-tailed Hawk, Sibley's. We
    both agreed.  Wish it would have landed.  Outstanding critter to check
    her new scope out on!

    The slight hint of red in the tail, IMO, moved it away from both the Harlan's
    and a solid dark Rough-legged Hawk.

    Mount Shira is two miles north of Noel, on Hwy. 59, McDonald County.

   Others overhead were 20 Black Vultures and a single TV.  No eagles today.

    Larry Herbert,  Joplin, Jasper County, certhiaATatt.net          12-3-11.