The phenomenon of exchange and borrowing of ideas, concepts, and models between societies across the world has been attracting the attention of scholars in diverse disciplines. In the course of the eighteenth and nineteenth century, German society with its advanced universities, its institutions of early childhood education, its museums and philanthropic institutions, its many cultural customs (such as Christmas and the Christmas Tree), and its literature provided an array of models and inspiration for intercultural transfer of these objects to far and distant cultures and societies.

We are seeking a third paper presenter for a panel on the concept of intercultural transfer at the GSA meeting in fall 2012 in Milwaukee. This presenter would join Kit Belgum and Thomas Adam who plan to prepare papers on various theoretical and practical aspects of intercultural transfer. We invite scholars who work on intercultural transfers which connected German cities and regions with places inside and outside of Europe.

If you are interested in joining us please contact Kit Belgum ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and Thomas Adam ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) via email by January 15.