CALL FOR PAPERS

University of Pennsylvania
Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures
Graduate Student Conference 2012

Minority Reports: Representing Social Identity in (New) Media
February 24, 2012
New modes of mass communication stimulate evolution in non-dominant group identity while also fostering innovation in minority (self-)representation.  This has been the case for centuries: from depictions of “das böse Weib” in 17th century broadsheets to the emergence of Yiddish-language Facebook groups, technological progress alters the landscape of language and identity.  Our conference aims to investigate the specific ways in which new media engender new visual and textual representations of minority status. We will focus on material from across the Germanic languages from the Early Modern period to the present day. We invite submissions that may engage with, but are not limited to, the following topics:

  *         Legal implications of minority status in moments of transition to new(er) media
  *         Censorship
  *         Immigration
  *         Minor Germanic languages in transition
  *         Creation of new minorities within existing ones or within previously     homogeneous populations
  *         Changes in representation of and by minority groups in the digital age
  *         Interactions between minority and majority groups
  *         Gender, race, and class as minority terms
  *         Political cartoons/ broadsheets

Please send your 250-300 word abstracts in both in the body of the e-mail and as a *.doc or *.docx attachment to Sonia Gollance and Maya Vinokour at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by January 5, 2012. Submissions should include the paper title, author’s name, affiliation, and e-mail address.

Sonia Gollance
Germanic Languages and Literatures
University of Pennsylvania
435 Williams Hall, 255 S. 36th St.