CFP: Que(e)r Methods?: Pedagogy, Diversity, Identity
German Studies Association; Milwaukee, WI; 4-7 October, 2012

When students and instructors are already faced with the need to discuss personal topics such as family, friends, and partners in the first chapter of German 101, the importance of a “safe classroom” quickly becomes evident. In upper level courses, questions of diversity and course content only grow more complex and significant. This panel seeks submissions for pedagogical strategies not only on how to “queer” the classroom but also how questions of sexual identity might intersect with religious, ethnic, racial and cultural identities in the context of German studies.

How can we facilitate a “safe classroom” experience? How might our teaching methods and materials promote or restrict a productive engagement with issues of identity? What role, if any, does sexual identity play in the German language classroom and should it? What other structures might be developed to support safe classrooms or even queer curricula? We invite papers that address these and similar questions that open up a dialogue for and about queer students, instructors, and materials in German language and literature classrooms.

Please submit abstracts (max. 250 words) to Japhet Johnstone ([log in to unmask]) and Eric Scheufler ([log in to unmask]) by Wednesday, January 18, 2012.

Please note the earlier deadline, so that we can coordinate our panel with guidelines of the 2012 GSA Convention. Presenters must be members of the German Studies Association. Information on membership is available on the GSA website (www.thegsa.org).