Thank you Josh.  You made the field trip a 'cackling' good time.  I think the best part was watching you determinedly find more Ross's Geese for everyone to study - all with patience and a sense of humor.

And I would also like second your thank you to Charlene for her phone call about the Ground Dove.  I am not sure my wife and I would have tried to refind it if it wasn't for her call.  Thank you so much, Charlene.  (And of course, thank you Mike Brady!)

And thank you again, Josh, for the tip on where to find the Ground Dove near the fork in the trail once we got there and saw you leaving.  We found it right where you said.  But....

Later, when a few more birders arrived who had not seen it, it seemed to have stopped making an appearance at the fork.  We decided to leave while others stayed in hopes it would make an appearance at the fork.

On our way out, my wife refound it near the entrance to the trail and called the folks trying to re-find it near the fork on her cellphone to let them know.  They came quickly and were overjoyed. I am guessing this was around 3:30PM.  So, be aware that the dove is a tricky little booger and could be anywhere along the trail, if anyone tries to refind it tomorrow.

BTW, which sex do folks think this Common Ground Dove do folks think is?  Male?  Do you think it is Western or Eastern?

The really fun part was getting to relive our Texas trip through this tiny dove.  My wife and I have only seen this species one other time, in Texas.  Getting to see it fly today was a real treat  - the rufous under the wings was spectacular, as were the black tips on the tail.   The almost reptilian scaling on the head, neck and chest reminded us of its ancestors, the dinosaurs.  From a 42 foot T-Rex to a 6.5" Common Ground Dove.  The incredibly shrinking Dinosaur!

Andy Reago
St. Louis MO