Yes, they cache food.  Research has shown that chickadee brain capacity increases 15% in the autumn, presumably to enable them to remember where they put those seeds.  This caching and retrieval behavior might be one more reason other birds follow them around--where there is one seed hidden, there may be others to be found nearby.

Now, if I could just graft some chickadee cells into my brain I'd renew searches for a dozen or so things I've squirreled away in "a safe place."

Oh, and Blue Jays cache food (responsible for spreading oak trees, for example).

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO