This morning, 21 people attended the St. Louis Audubon Society Fieldtrip to Riverlands Mig. Bird Sanctuary (RMBS, St. Charles County).  Overall, the number of waterfowl seemed down from when I was there earlier in the week.  However, there were still at least 4000 gulls roosting in Ellis Bay, but they all dispersed as soon as daylight broke (prior the start of the fieldtrip).

As a group, we managed 38 species birding from 8 to 11:30.  All of the highlight birds continued at their previously reported locations:

- The fem. type LONG-TAILED DUCK was hanging out with the 4 imm./fem. type SURF SCOTERS in Ellis Bay.

- 4 imm./fem. type BLACK SCOTERS were at Lincoln Shields

- At least 5 ROSS’S GEESE continued with about 200 Snow Geese in Heron Pond.

- Think we had at least 2 COMMON LOONS, 1 in Ellis Bay and 1 in Teal Pond.

- At least 1 Cackling Goose was amongst the Canadas at Teal Pond.

- At least 1 CATTLE EGRET continued at the south end of Tricolored Heron Pond.

On my way home, I was happy to get a phone call from Charlene Malone relaying that Tom Bormann and Dave Rogles had re-found the COMMON GROUND-DOVE.  So, I had to take a slightly different route home after getting permission from my wife.  This was a pretty easy bird to find, as already reported by Charlene it was just walking in the middle of the trail, right where the trail splits.  It was quite cooperative and allowed for easy viewing.  Here are the best pictures I was able to get as it started to rain:  http://www.pbase.com/jpuf/common_grounddove

I suspect it will continue to hang out along the trail and those that are patient enough to wait for it to show up will be rewarded.  Nice find Mike Brady!!  Looks to be about the potential 8th state record, assuming the bird only weeks ago at Otter Slough CA is the potential 7th state record.

Thanks to all who came this morning – I had a great time!

Joshua Uffman

St. Louis County, MO

MO-Records:  www.showme-birds.com

Bird Photos:  http://www.pbase.com/jpuf