This past week several reports of Snowy Owls in Midwest...2 in Kansas
unfortunately one ended as a roadkill; one ended in what looked like starvation
the source said; now one reported in NW MO; several in Illinois, Iowa; being fairly
new to birding, isn't this unusual to see this number of Snowy Owls this far south
so early in the season?  Is this indicative of low food available in their habitat or
perhaps something awry with the species? climate change?  I saw one Snowy Owl
as teen on our farm in Southern MO in the early 70's during a very bitterly cold
winter; the most beautiful bird I have ever seen,would love to view
again/photograph.  If any of you more accomplished and expert in the birding field
would care to comment on my questions I would be most appreciative.

side note...actually yard note:  Eastern blue bird in my yard this week and first
Brown Creeper of fall/winter 2 days ago..Juncos increasing daily in number.

Carol Weston
Columbia, MO