Thx for the help on the quail ID guys!

My mom said when she turned it loose in the morning it ran across the yard like a quail, before flying a short height to a fence, then disappearing.

Seems like a good sign that it was not seriously injured.

I had thought quail but dismissed it and began looking at nightjars. Shouldn't second guess myself so quickly I guess.

I am realizing that growing up in Arizona I could have really enjoyed a very diverse set of bird species if I had had any idea. We watched wildlife and knew a very tiny bit about birds but truly missed out on learning Arizona birds.

Thx again!

Becca SECOR
St peters, mo

Sent from Becca's iPhone