Squaw Creek NWR, Holt, US-MO
Nov 25, 2011 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
15.0 mile(s)
31 species (+3 other taxa)

Greater White-fronted Goose (Anser albifrons)  X     We only saw a few small flocks today
Snow Goose (Chen caerulescens)  X     There were 10-20K on the refuge when we arrived but many skeins (many thousand) came in after we left the pool with thsee geese
Ross's Goose (Chen rossii)  X     I saw a few mixed in the SNGO but they probably represented less than 2% of the birds on the ground.
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  X     A few hundred mostly in Eagle Pool
Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator)  79     Potentially some double counted but likely some missed as well
Gadwall (Anas strepera)  X     Only a few I probably saw less than 100
American Wigeon (Anas americana)  X     I probably saw less than 100 maybe more abundant than GADW
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  X     greater than 50K
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)  X     A few hundred
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta)  X     Several thousand maybe 1:5 vs MALL
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca)  X     A couple thousand
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)  X     Maybe about 30 in a few deeper spots
Redhead (Aythya americana)  X     5:3 vs Canvasbacks
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)  X     very few saw less than 10
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola)  5
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus)  X     Maybe 30 in Eagle Pool
Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis)  X     A few here and there
American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos)  X     Maybe a couple hundred mostly in Eagle Pool
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  3
Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis)  3     Saw three right at road heading north off of auto loop.  They were seen within 10 feet.  Photos available
Plegadis sp. (Plegadis sp.)  1     Most likely a White-faced and nothing lead me to think otherwise but I could not rule out GLIB from the distance that it was observed.
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  20
Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)  3
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  10
small falcon sp. (Falco sp. (small falcon sp.))  1
American Coot (Fulica americana)  X     more than 100
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  X
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  X     Several thousand
meadowlark sp. (Sturnella sp.)  X
Rusty Blackbird (Euphagus carolinus)  X     Maybe 40-50
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  X     In mixed black bird flocks > 10%
Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus)  X