Hello Mobirds
Have had several e-mails about the common ground  dove I found Thanksgiving
Day.Mainly  asking was I really  surprised  to find one.Obviously its way
out of its normal range, but to be honest, it  really didn't surprise me or
blow me away all that much(say compared to  finding something that really
would surprise me like a  Masked tityra  or  a three-toed woodpecker in
Missouri)
I guess what surprises me  the most about the bird is that more have not
been found in  Missouri.
Two main reasons why I think these birds may be showing up  more
 1-The hardcore extreme drought that has and is devastating much of
Texas(as well as OK) where this bird probably originated from.No doubt  causing a
lot of irregular dispersing patterns for many Texas birds in  search of
food. Not only common ground doves but Im sure inca doves as well  and probably
other species
2-One of the strongest reason I suspect  these birds may show up more in MO
and neighboring states is due to northerly  range expansion
I  remember in the real early ninties,(1991)  while living in western CO
listening to the NARBA hotline ( that I  would call via pay phone,haha) and
hearing about a ruddy ground dove  showing up outside of Soniata AZ.I  jumped
in my rust bucket suburu and  drove straight through the night from Vail Co
to Soniata AZ to see one of these  extremely rare, at the time, Mexican
vagrants.
To make a long story  short ruddy ground doves,another type of ground dove
very similar to  common,once rare, is now relatively easy to find in areas
of S-California,AZ and  southern New Mexico.I know there are areas around the
Salton sea in  CA where you cant miss them.They have expanded their range
from the  northern areas of the state of Durango,Mexico about 400-500 miles
since the  early ninties.
Think this may be the case with common ground doves as  well
Time will tell I guess but would not be surprised if more  common ground
doves or even inca doves start showing  up in Mo and  states close by

PS-ID tip
One thing to look for is the flight  pattern of these doves.Dead give
away.All the ground doves, be it  common,inca,ruddy or plain breasted have a very
unique "fast and stiff" flight  pattern.(Having a lot of field  experience
with various ground  dove species I was pretty sure what it was immediately
when I first flushed  it thursday)
good birding
Mike Brady
BallwinMO