Yesterday morning I drove up to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge at
Mound City, Missouri hoping to see the "frequently reported" Sandhill
Cranes. They hide when they see me coming! But there were literally
thousands of waterfowl using the refuge. Most numerous were the
Mallards, Gadwalls, Snow Geese and Green-winged Teal. I have never seen
the teal in such great numbers. There were thousands of this species
alone!

Below is a complete list of the species I observed. Listed in current taxonomical order.

Greater White-fronted Goose
Snow Goose
Ross's Goose
Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan - 14
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Hooded Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican
Double-crested
 Cormorant
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Wilson's Snipe
Franklin's Gull
Rock Pigeon
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Eastern Bluebird
European Starling
American Tree Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Harris's Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Rusty Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird
American Goldfinch
Common Grackle

* I also observed one "Harlan's" Red-tailed Hawk and one Dark morph Red-tailed Hawk

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO