While I was hoping for some swans, scoters or grebes during my tour around the oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph (didn't happen), but I saw eleven species of waterfowl. I missed three species I saw yesterday, but added three different ones: Mallard, Redhead and Bufflehead.

Believe it or not, I did not see any Killdeer. I have no idea where they might have been. Strange!            I did spook up five (5) Wilson's Snipe though.

There were a lot of sparrows around the west end of Lake Contrary. Most numerous were Song, Swamp, American Tree Sparrow and Dark-eyed Juncos. Some Harris's and White-throated Sparrows were also seen.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO