I visited South Farm R-1 Lake (Boone Co.) for the 9th time since last Thursday and again found a changing population of birds. Today was the first time I failed to find at least one Greater Yellowlegs. Highlights this morning were a couple GREATER SCAUP, a NORTHERN HARRIER and a WESTERN MEADOWLARK. An additional ~30 GADWALL were on the pond just to the east of South Farm R-1. I arrived before sunrise yesterday and watched a lot of geese fly off the pond before I was able to make it there. There are definitely a lot fewer birds there in the afternoon vs. morning. Below is my eBird list from this morning.

South Farm R-1 Lake, Boone, US-MO
Nov 10, 2011 6:58 AM - 7:08 AM
Protocol: Stationary
23 species

Canada Goose  77
Gadwall  36
Mallard  4
Blue-winged Teal  4
Northern Shoveler  16
Green-winged Teal (American)  52
Ring-necked Duck  11
Greater Scaup  2     With Lesser Scaup, ID'd upon taking flight by wing pattern. Flushed by Northern Harrier, did not see return before I left.
Lesser Scaup  9     Flushed by Northern Harrier, did not see return before I left.
Ruddy Duck  6
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Great Blue Heron  1
Northern Harrier  1     Saw coursing near Rolling Hills, eventually flew over pond several times spooking many ducks into the air.
Red-tailed Hawk (Eastern)  1
American Coot  55
Killdeer  4
Wilson's Snipe  1
Mourning Dove  2
American Crow  1
European Starling  40
Savannah Sparrow  2
Eastern Meadowlark  17
Western Meadowlark  1     ID'd by diagnostic 'chuk' call note.

Good birding,
Ryan

Ryan Douglas
Postdoctoral Fellow