From: Kristi Mayo <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Smithville Jaeger ID
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, November 11, 2011, 6:08 AM

I sent this last night but it didn't go through...

Doug Willis has posted some of his digiscoped pictures of today's Smithville Lake jaeger here:

He and I are both fairly confident this is a straight-forward POMARINE JAEGER. Overall jizz is an extremely heavy bird, barrel chested, thick-necked, and as large as a Ring-billed Gull. Bill is sharply two-toned (with demarkation visible even at long distances), thick, and "stubby". And, Doug's excellent pics show the "double patch" on the underwing (pale primary coverts and pale primary bases). It also lacks a strong white "flash" on the upper wing.

Linda Williams has posted two good photos that show the jizz of the bird very well on the Friends of Burroughs Audubon Society's Facebook page ... Sorry I'm not sure how to link to those.

The Pomarine Jaeger was there at sunset. Hope all attempts to relocate in the morning are fruitful!

Best of luck,

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)