MoBirders:

I have occasionally shared sightings from my office. Most of these have been in the block that I call our back yard - an undeveloped, oversized wooded lot. Since moving in to this building, I have seen approximately 50 species of birds in that lot, as well as deer, squirrels, raccoons and several types of frogs, lizards, crickets, spiders, butterflies, moths, dragon flies, and more. Just this morning, I've spotted cardinals, blue jays, flickers, juncos, yellow-rumped warblers, chickadees, starlings and robins. The reason for writing this post, however, is to share the bad news of my other sighting this morning: a surveyor. My back yard is up for sale, and the surveyor's presence is an omenous sign that this habitat will disappear soon.

My office is in a part of Jefferson City (on and around West Edgewood) that has been developing rapidly over the last 5-10 years. In fact, my employer built our building here just a few years ago, and we too destroyed a full block of woods in doing so. I had no part in that decision, however, and I actually liked our old building better. Right now, construction is under way on the new roads that will provide access to the future site of St. Mary's Hospital.

I understand the value of development and what it means for jobs, the economy, etc. Still, I struggle with understanding how we as a race should balance our societal needs (7 billion people in the world!!) with the needs of the Earth and all the valuable, beautiful life on it. I don't have the answer, and I don't think any of you do either, but at least we can stand in solidarity as lovers of the natural world, conscious of what soon may end.

Amy J. Hoffman
Jefferson City
Cole County

Food helps those who help themselves.