From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Ken Armstrong
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: Eliot's 4 English drawing room plays

Nancy,

 As you said in an earlier post, any lister is free to agree or disagree with any other. I would only say that nothing in my message below is meant as ad hominem  --  it is meant as observation for consideration. In that vein, I stick by it, because I think it's accurate.

Ken A

On 11/8/2011 7:58 PM, Nancy Gish wrote:
[log in to unmask] type="cite">

>>> Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]> 11/08/11 4:02 PM >>>
On the other hand, the significant emotion of art was what Eliot was
after, and some points could be raised in defense of his efforts.

That is not at stake. I was talking about something else. I think the best work on  Eliot's emotion in art is by Charlie Altieri.

He was under no constriction to present emotions other than what he was
interested in.

No one said he was.  The reviewer merely pointed out the limits of his emotional range.  For a contrast, think Shakespeare.

 If his plays were not fully successful, there are other
places to look besides to a deficiency in the poet's appreciation of
human emotions, the claim of which is at best highly problematic anyhow.

That's a fine topic, a different one.

One large bit of territory to investigate might be what Katherine Anne
Porter called "the failure of love in the Western world." For the poet
or artist who perceives that overarching failure, religious ecstasy or
despair may very well be the proper themes of his poetry/plays.

That topic has been explored since the first reviews.  Discussing something else is not a failure to know about it or even agree.

 And not assenting to this may well reflect much more on the critic than on the
poet/playwright. Isn't this something that critics should keep in mind
and be sensitive to, that there judgments may reveal more about them
than about their alleged subject?

Ad hominem remarks (and ad feminem) are not arguments, just name-calling.

Too, Eliot was trying to revive verse
plays and wrote somewhere (don't remember whether it was about the plays
or the poetry) about the advantage of having a form delivered developed
into your poetic hands vs. the difficulties of trying to (re)establish a
form.

Also well known: no one denied it.

 I think this is a more promising area in which to look for Eliot's
difficulties than to his appreciation of human emotion.

By all means, look.  Let us know.

Accompanying this lack of appreciation in Eliot criticism for these rather large
factors, and possibly a part of it, is the strain of consumerism it
exhibits, as if creating satisfactory verse or poetry were rather like
turning on the hot and cold taps just right to get the most comfortable
mixture for the bath water.

More ad hominem/feminem.

 While I suppose just about everyone would
agree that that is not what creating art is about, I can't help
wondering why then people persist in talking about it that way.

Perhaps careful reading of a great deal more contemporary criticism would be illuminating. I don't find myself wondering.

What I do  not understand is why anyone on this list assumes either that they are experts who can assert truth and others are somehow utterly absurd, or that we cannot have a civil discussion without any personal attacks or constant assertions of personal feeling that lead nowhere.
Nancy

Ken A