Thoughtful observations, Ken. Worthy of consideration.
Thanks,
 CR

From: Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: Eliot's 4 English drawing room plays

On the other hand, the significant emotion of art was what Eliot was after, and some points could be raised in defense of his efforts. He was under no constriction to present emotions other than what he was interested in. If his plays were not fully successful, there are other places to look besides to a deficiency in the poet's appreciation of human emotions, the claim of which is at best highly problematic anyhow. One large bit of territory to investigate might be what Katherine Anne Porter called "the failure of love in the Western world." For the poet or artist who perceives that overarching failure, religious ecstasy or despair may very well be the proper themes of his poetry/plays. And not assenting to this may well reflect much more on the critic than on the poet/playwright. Isn't this something that critics should keep in mind and be sensitive to, that there judgments may reveal more about them than about their alleged subject? Too, Eliot was trying to revive verse plays and wrote somewhere (don't remember whether it was about the plays or the poetry) about the advantage of having a form delivered developed into your poetic hands vs. the difficulties of trying to (re)establish a form. I think this is a more promising area in which to look for Eliot's difficulties than to his appreciation of human emotion. Accompanying this lack of appreciation in Eliot criticism for these rather large factors, and possibly a part of it, is the strain of consumerism it exhibits, as if creating satisfactory verse or poetry were rather like turning on the hot and cold taps just right to get the most comfortable mixture for the bath water. While I suppose just about everyone would agree that that is not what creating art is about, I can't help wondering why then people persist in talking about it that way.

Ken A