Nancy

Rereading Dr. Pondrom’s article I was struck by these words concerning “Paris”, “and to elide that which escapes language”.  Not being the brightest bulb in the box and trying to understand this I substituted “omit” for “elide” and was faced with Imagism.  In other words, sometimes an idea or fantasia cannot be given in language but can be prompted from the reader’s mind by powerful words and phrases.  The Image eludes language but is invoked by language.

This is what TSE did with “The Waste Land”, what HD did with “Oread”, what Pound did with “In A Station Of The Metro” and what Williams did so masterfully in “The Red Wheelbarrow”.

I am definitely going to have to read “Paris”.

Rick Seddon