  From: Carrol Cox
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 3:12 PM
  Subject: Re: Query

  That is indeed what I had in mind. And I see that in memory I've somehow combined it with some other remark in Eliot's prose (or, as this, in someone's memory of personal conversation.) He speaks of those who have illusions to lose, or of those who know what it is to have illusions to lose. This is pretty vague & I may have somehow made it up myself, or perhaps some other writer said something like it and I attached it to Eliot in memory.

  But thanks for the exact quotation & source here.

  Carrol