Whimper....
P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Tom Colket
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: Eliot performance of "A Fragment of an Agon" online

Rick wrote:
> This one may irritate Tom Colket who spent so much time and expense
> a while back to give us a mp3 copy of Eliot performing a portion of
> Sweeney Agonistes

Rick:

It's not a matter of the YouTube posting irritating me. Once I made the digitized Eliot MP3 recording from the Harvard audio tape, I know I could have posted the MP3 to the list, or could have posted it directly to a place like YouTube, without seeking permission from the copyright holders.

The issue is that I don't own the rights to the Eliot recording: Mrs. Eliot does, and she can do with it what she wants.

As the "Permissions Controller" from "Faber and Faber Ltd" wrote to me when I asked for permission to post the MP3 to the list:

"We do not usually allow any online uses of Eliot's works, in line with the wishes of his Estate. With any of our other poets, for whom we do allow online use, we would normally charge an annual fee for the inclusion of the work on the site. However, given that this would be restricted to list members only, I think we could relax our policy in this instance. I would suggest a one-off fee of XXXXX, provided that, as you say, a notice was included that members would need to seek permission from Faber to use the extract in any commercial way (or to post it elsewhere)."

So I'm guessing that if Faber learns about the YouTube posting, they would ask YouTube to take it down. On the other hand, you can download a guilt-free copy of the MP3 from the TSE archives since I obtained permission for all TSE list members (now and in the future) to download their own personal copy.

To conclude on a more Eliotic note --

  This is the way the world ends: not with a bang but a bootleg.

-- Tom --