Well, Eliot said it was the state of his mind--or words to that effect. He said it more than once. If we dismiss his testimony (as one of those literary critics who do not know what is the true way to read?), we may be left with a poem largely "underpinned" rather that simply edited by Ezra Pound

>>> Ken Armstrong 11/12/11 8:45 AM >>>
Granting that "underpin" is not a very exact word here, the "state of mind" in which the pearl of the poem is produced is not the process that produces the poem. What's central to the poem as poem is that process.

Ken A