From: Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:51 AM
Subject: Re: What underpins 'The Waste Land'

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:30:57 -0600, Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>What underpins TWL?

> The poet's nervous breakdown reflecting the nervous breakdown of Europe into
>the Insanity of 1914.

Eliot, in a private paper, written in his sixties, confessed: "I came to
persuade myself that I was in love with Vivienne simply because I wanted to
burn my boats and commit myself to staying in England. And she persuaded
herself (also under the influence of Pound) that she would save the poet by
keeping him in England. To her, the marriage brought no happiness. To me, it
brought the state of mind out of which came The Waste Land."