It's not illusions; it's emotions. I can find it--it's early prose--a
major piece. I'm just not certain where at this moment.
Best,
Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox 11/25/11 6:14 PM >>>
That is indeed what I had in mind. And I see that in memory I*ve somehow
combined it with some other remark in Eliot*s prose (or, as this, in
someone*s memory of personal conversation.) He speaks of those who have
illusions to lose, or of those who know what it is to have illusions to
lose. This is pretty vague & I may have somehow made it up myself, or
perhaps some other writer said something like it and I attached it to
Eliot in memory.

But thanks for the exact quotation & source here.

Carrol

From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Nancy Gish
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 4:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Query

It was quoted by Professor Theodor Spencer during a lecture at Harvard
and is on p. 1 of the Facsimile edition of TWL:

"Various critics have done me the honour to interpret the poem in terms
of criticism of the contemporary world, have considered it, indeed, as
an important bit of social criticism. To me it was only the relief of a
personal and wholly insignificant grouse against life; it is just a
piece of rhymical grumbling."

I think that is the one you mean. There are other comments--like saying
he regretted sending a generation of critics off on a wild-goose chase
after [grail legends or those allusions]--I'd have to find the exact
words.

Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox 11/25/11 4:32 PM >>>
Eliot rejected the idea that TWL represented the loss of illusions of a
generation, his rejection including a sneer at those who had no
illusions to
lose -- something like that. Could someone provide me with the correct
quotation.

Thanks in advance.

Carrol