Tom Gray wrote:
> Would it be true or at least somewhat useful to say that Eliot's issue
> with Anglicanism was the strain of Millenarianism that is a property
> of certain branches of it. Did Eliot reject the idea that salvation
> can be found in "good works" and or in anything that can be achieved
> in the world. It needs to be found in grace as the "peace that passeth
> understanding" from the "What the Thunder Said"?

    These lines from "Gerontion" seem to speak to part of your question:

                Think
            44Neither fear nor courage saves us. Unnatural vices
            45Are fathered by our heroism.  Virtues
            46Are forced upon us by our impudent crimes.
            47 <http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/777.html#50>These
tears are shaken from the wrath-bearing tree.

In a world so described it could not be good works that would save us.

Ken A