On 11/25/2011 4:27 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> Eliot rejected the idea that TWL represented the loss of illusions of a
> generation, his rejection including a sneer at those who had no illusions to
> lose -- something like that. Could someone provide me with the correct
> quotation.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Carrol

Eliot wrote (as an aside) in "Thoughts after Lambeth" (1931):

I dislike the word 'generation', which has been a talisman for the last
ten years; when I wrote a poem called The Waste Land some of the more
approving critics said that I had expressed the 'disillusionment of a
generation', which is nonsense. I may have expressed for them their own
illusion of being disillusioned, but that did not form part of my intention.

Regards,
     Rick Parker